Google Analytics

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pizzataters


Sometimes I just want to make something simple. Sometimes I crave a food I can't have. And since we are still in the midst of the great gluten-free experiment, I have both of those things going right now... a desire for pizza and a desire to not do a difficult meal.

Thus was born my idea for pizzataters. I just simply do not have the ingredients on hand for a gluten-free crust. And I honestly have 787 other things to do...Ok, honestly I'm still scared of gluten-free crust. And so I am giving into my fear and using baked potatoes as my crust for tonight and seeing how long I can get away with it. LOL


Pizzataters
1 jar of gluten-free marinara sauce (or 1 bag of your own, made from scratch and pre-frozen)
1 lb. ground turkey
1 onion
a handful of fresh mushrooms
mozzarella cheese
2 small or 1 large potato for each member of your family
any other pizza toppings you desire....i.e. spinach, olives, pepperoni, etc.

Thaw your meat and toss it into a crock pot with your marinara, mushrooms, and onions. Turn it on low and leave it for a couple of hours. Come back and break up all the meat. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash your potatoes, and really scrub them. The kids are gonna eat the skin this time. And you will too. Promise. Using a fork, poke holes in the potatoes so they won't explode in your oven while baking. Once the oven is nice and hot, place the potatoes directly on the oven rack and cook for about an hour. Walk away, ignore them.. they'll be fine.


Once you come back, split open the potatoes on a plate and mush up the insides with a fork. Pour your "pizzasauce" over the potato and sprinkle with cheese. If you are adding other toppings, you may want to use an oven-safe plate that you can stick back in the oven a couple of minutes to bake it together. Serve. And eat. Give out lots of napkins.

Will I pass this off as dinner? Absolutely. Do I feel guilty? Not at all. I'm serving it with a salad, it's low fat and gluten-free. Does my family love it? I'll let the picture answer that:




No comments:

Post a Comment