Google Analytics

Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Nigerian-ish Goat

In case I've never mentioned it, my husband doesn't eat pork or beef (except for grass-fed beef) and so when I get a hankering for a non-poultry or fish dinner, I often turn to alternate meats that he will eat. Now he has made curry goat for me before, and it was good, but I felt that certainly something else could be done with an animal that's been eaten by humans for thousands of years, other than making curry.

Enter my Nigerian-ish Goat. Traditional Nigerian Goat has peanut butter and tomato paste as some of the main ingredients. I dig on that flavor idea, but wanted to expand on it. And goat is a rather lean, healthy kind of meat.


Ingredients
1-2 lbs. of Goat Stew Meat
2 1/2 cups of chicken stock
2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
juice from 1/2 a lime
1 diced red bell pepper
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
3 roma tomatoes
1-2 onions
2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. powdered garlic
1 tsp. thyme.



In order to be tender and yummy, goat really needs to cook slowly for a long time. So this is best done in a crock pot (preferably a programmable one, if you have it.) Stir up your peanut butter, then dump the goat meat into the pot. Top the meat with the peanut butter. Pull the chicken stock out of the freezer. Wash and cut up the veggies and throw in there too. Juice the lime and throw the rind in. Pop your very barely thawed chicken stock out of the container and place the frozen block on top of the meat & veggies. I like to use the cheaper plastic containers to store my chicken stock on so they have a little give to them. I'd rather not nuke it if I don't have to. Cook on low for about 3 1/2 hours. Stir it up, cook on low again for 3 1/2 hours. If you won't be around, you can always just set it to go all day. Towards the end of cooking, at the seasonings, at least an hour prior to serving. When you add the seasonings, stir everything in the pot at least enough that it all gets turned over. Serve over rice or quinoa.


I never got a picture of the finished product... it dissappeared too quickly.


Coming up: Seven Ways to Entertain a Toddler and a 7 Year Old at the Same time....

No comments:

Post a Comment