Google Analytics

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Frog Leg Disaster


Last time we were at the Asian supermarket, something in me thought "Buy frog legs." Of course, this was before going gluten-free, and I thought a simple batter-and-fry recipe would do the trick. And I like frog legs. And I thought it would entertain the older child. So I stuck them in the freezer and promptly forgot about them, at least until I was rummaging around the other day trying to decide what to make for dinner. So off I go, into making gluten-free froglegs. I of course, never have buttermilk on hand when I need it, so I soaked the frog legs in a mixture of milk and vinegar while mixing my dry ingredients.

I'll list them, but not give an exact recipe, because you DO NOT want to repeat this cooking experience. Cornmeal, paprika, salt, pepper, lemon zest, garlic powder.


Ick. Ick. Ick. My ratio of spices to cornmeal was off, the oil didn't get hot enough, the batter fell off, the what should've been tender frog meat was stringy and oily.


So back to the drawing board.

The funny thing? Frog legs still amuse a 7 year old, and she asked if we could have them again, without the breading.

No comments:

Post a Comment