Google Analytics

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Another Season Of Planting

Last year was our first year attempting to raise a vegetable garden. Halfway through the summer, we decided to move, and more or less gave up on our poor vegetable plants. We learned some valuable lessons to get us started for this year.

Things to know about our family-- we are overly ambitious. And I can live with that. Not to be satisfied with mere tomatoes like many of our friends and neighbors, we have sprouted 2 types of tomatoes, kale, cucumbers, peppers, okra, and cauliflower. We have at least 7 or 8 other varieties of seeds lying around, just waiting to be planted. We are also growing herbs, but that's a topic for another day.

My husband is the resident plant expert. Me, I can kill a cactus. No, seriously. My mind just focuses on too many things.. too-small clothes to be donated, little toenails to be clipped, permission slips to be signed, vitamins to be administered, etc. But my husband? He can remember how many times a day something should be watered, how much shade it needs, etc. we all have our talents. And so when I say that "we" have sprouted all of those things, by and large, I mean "he." (Although the baby does seem to be getting in on the action.)


He also has constructed a dog-proof garden fence (which our larger dog, Grancy, immediately jumped and got trapped in.)

Once the fence was built, we transplanted okra, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Oh, the excitement! Could it be, that I, Miss Orange thumb, could help transplant these little things and actual real-life vegetables would prosper under my watch?

Um, maybe. Except the heavens opened that night, the dog got trapped in the garden during the downpour, and it's possible they all drowned.


At 4 o'clock yesterday morning (something I should have taken pictures of) my husband was outside digging a trench around the garden to try and stop the flow of water.

Hopefully, some survived, and we'll plant more seeds.....

No comments:

Post a Comment