Google Analytics

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fantastically Easy Dessert



Once upon a time, I was single. When I was single, I lived with my parents and payed few bills. Due to their indulgence, I thought nothing of dropping a hundred bucks or so on an evening out for just me, or just me and a friend. Randomly today I thought back to one of those evenings when I took my friend Niki to dinner for her birthday. We went to a great little place in College Park (unfortunately out of business now) called Kosmos. I remember vague things about the dinner, but what I do remember is the dessert. Remembering a dessert is rare for me, I'm all about the meal itself. But that one time, I was served vanilla ice cream topped with fresh strawberries cooked in black pepper and balsamic vinegar. This was at least 6 years ago, but I still remember how fantastic it tasted. So tonight I surprised my husband with a rare dessert. (The kids didn't qualify for dessert due to behavior and dairy issues....)

Ingredients:
7 fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 tbsp. pomegranate balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. white sugar
vanilla yogurt


In a small pan, heat balsamic vinegar. Once it starts to bubble slightly, add sugar, and stir often until completely dissolved. Add black pepper and mix around. Toss in strawberries, mixing while cooking until throughly coated in sauce. Dollop about 1 1/2 cups vanilla yogurt into a bowl, top with strawberries. Serve immediately.


My husband was (I think) deeply skeptical of the black pepper with strawberries. He did, however, pronounce it a "keeper." (Thanks, hon... I knew that... :-)) The vinegar and pepper seems to just make the taste of the strawberries really intense, it's neither hot nor sour, oddly enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment