Google Analytics

Friday, July 2, 2010

Watermelon Glazed Chicken

I got laid off from my job last Friday, which can explain a few things about my cooking:
1.) I've been using powdered garlic
2.) I've been really working the leftovers
3.) I don't care how long it takes to cook a meal.

Somehow yesterday, in the midst of running out to see my best friend (who's in town from Chicago) and her beautiful son, buying groceries, and attempting to keep the kids out of trouble, I got inspired.  With leftovers, no less.

And once again, I couldn't find a recipe online (not that I would follow it anyway) for what I wanted.


What I wanted, was to recycle my watermelon salad and make a watermelon glazed chicken.  And I wanted cumin lime potatoes and fresh corn and minted peas. I don't know why I wanted these things.  I just did.  And so I made them.

I did, however, rinse the feta and basil out of the watermelon.

Watermelon Glazed Chicken
For the glaze:
2 cups fresh watermelon juice
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup tamari sauce
For the dry rub:
1 tbsp. fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cumin

The chicken:
1/4 cup watermelon chunks
1 boiled lime
1 whole chicken

Preheat oven to 375.  Wash chicken and pat dry.  In a small bowl, mix together the dry rub ingredients.  Rub all over chicken, outside and in and under the skin.  Place in a large roasting dish.  In a small saucepan, bring sauce ingredients to a boil and then reduce to simmer.  Baste chicken with a small amount.  Cut your boiled lime in half and place it and the watermelon chunks inside the chicken cavity.  Place chicken in the oven and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked through.  Use a meat thermometer to check this chicken, as the watermelon glaze is rather red and makes it difficult to determine using the juices.  Baste the chicken periodically with the sauce, being careful not to cross contaminate.  Serve chicken cut with sauce spooned over.


Cumin-Lime Roasted Potatoes
Ingredients:
zest of one lime
3 russet potatoes
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. oregano
Juice from 1 lime
1/4 cup of olive oil. 

Wash your potatoes thoroughly and cut into small pieces.  In a small bowl, mix together all other ingredients. Toss the potatoes in the seasoning and place in small oven-safe pan.  Roast for about 45 minutes.  Lightly salt before serving.


I also served fresh corn on the cob and minted peas.  I still have not perfected my minted peas, but the dinner was fantastic.  Even if I served it rather late.  Don't start thawing out a whole chicken at 2 and expect it to be ready for dinnertime.  It won't be.

No comments:

Post a Comment