Google Analytics

Friday, July 9, 2010

Finally! A Gluten-Free Pizza

It's really odd, but when my daughter was 17 months old, I was horribly obsessed with preventing her from acquiring a taste for junk food.  No chicken fingers, no burgers, no fries, no pizza.  Nothing was to pass her lips. Slowly but surely, however, my family, daycare, school, friends, and she have overcome a lot of that. She does eat junk sometimes, but I try to balance it out with tons of healthy food to help keep her body more or less in balance.  And it seems to be working. We very rarely have to take her to the doctor.

Interesting, isn't it, how different things are from child to child?

I have been obsessed lately with all of the things my (cow) dairy-free and gluten-free son is missing out on.  Maybe because I've been missing out too.  But I digress.  We made goat's milk ice cream on 4th of July, and homemade french fries a couple of times (fried in oil not touched by batter or gluten of any kind) and I bought popsicles recently, determined and successfully finding some that were gluten-free.

But I have procrastinated and procrastinated about making a gluten-free pizza.  I don't know why except that all the recipes I have found involve several different types of flour and I haven't had it in my budget to buy a gluten-free crust mix. 

But when checking out Bob's Red Mill website the other day, I found a recipe for making a gluten-free pizza crust from the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour mix.  


The recipe was very easy to follow, despite the fact that the uncooked product was questionable looking:

 

I did, of course, differ from the recipe.  I baked my crust for about 5 minutes before topping.  I did a small pizza for the baby, topped with tomato sauce, spinach, turkey pepperoni, and goat cheese, 

 
and a larger one for everyone else, with freshly grated mozzarella, spinach, turkey pepperoni, and tomato sauce.

The crust bubble up nicely.  It was a thicker, chewier crust ( I like it crisp on the bottom).  My family loves any and all pizza, though, so it was well received.  I did bake the crusts in a pan, which lended itself to thicker crust.

I'll definitely repeat this recipe.  I still want to find a way to (easily) make a gluten-free sourdough crust.

No comments:

Post a Comment