Google Analytics

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Gluten Free Chicken Spring Rolls

The road to gluten-free has often been one with many speed bumps.  There are some things that we love that we just don't want to give up.  And this has caused me to give some of my recipes a "makeover."  Sometimes that's easy and sometimes it's not.

I do it anyway.

Enter chicken springrolls.  I posted my recipe for them a while back.  It just seemed to need a few tweaks to make it gluten free.  First things first, I bought some gluten-free spring roll wrappers a while back.  I went to Super H Mart, but Amazon also sells the ones I used.  I am a bit puzzled by their claim that you can buy it, or buy it new, though.  ????


At any rate, once I had those, the recipe was easy.  The hard thing was learning to manipulate these wrappers.  To get them bendy (because I strive to utilize technical terms) you soak them in water.  Not too long, or they stick to themselves, not too short or they won't be bendy. I settled on about 2 minutes a piece.





  I did find, too, that with these wrappers, I needed to bake my springrolls about 25-30 minutes instead of 15-20.

Gluten Free Chicken Spring Rolls
1 lb. ground chicken
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 splash tabasco
2 tbsp. white vinegar
splash of apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp. sesame oil
minced ginger, garlic, and onion
spring roll wrappers
1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage

In a small pot, heat peanut butter, tabasco, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and onion for about 5 minutes over low heat.  Stir regularly to blend.  In a skillet, begin to cook the ground chicken, pouring the sauce over the chicken and cooking it in.  Once the chicken is almost ready, add the cabbage and cook until it starts to turn tender.

Soak each spring roll wrapper for about 2 minutes, and once it is flexible, spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoon into the wrapper and roll.  Add to greased baking dish.  Once pan is filled, cook at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  I served this time with Dijon mustard and some hot & spicy chili sauce.

A great ending to appetizer night. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment