Google Analytics

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Simple Homemade Apple Sauce

Yum, applesauce.  UM, except, have you read how much sugar and preservatives is in a lot of the store-bought stuff??  I try to buy the "natural" kind, the kind that has ingredients limited to apples and water.

But, occasionally I make it homemade.  The kids love it and it's very very simple.  Today I found 3 apples that were not really crunchy enough to be yummy anymore but not bad either.  So I sauced them.  My kids eat a container of applesauce in 1 day anyway, so I figured it would help clean out the fridge and reduce waste.

Ingredients:
3 apples (any variety or a mix)
6 cups of water
cinnamon


Wash and chop your apples into little bits.  Bring the water to a boil, and toss the apples in the pan.  Boil about 10 minutes or until apples are very tender.  Strain apples, discarding water.  Dump the apples into the food processor, and add cinnamon to taste.  I am addicted to the McCormick Spice Grinder.. it makes it easy to have "fresh" ground cinnamon, which tastes extra yummy.   Pulse the apples 3-4 times or until you get the consistency you want.  Serve immediately or refrigerate if you prefer it cold.  It also freezes well.  Makes a great topping for oatmeal.





No comments:

Post a Comment