Google Analytics

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Seeding a Cucumber

As I'm teaching my kids to cook, I try to impart the skills for them to be able to not only prepare a dish, but to be creative with flavors. That's why I cook.. I liken cooking to art and creativity, I love to create something that is delicious and healthy and fuels my family and my friends.  And I love to eat.

But I digress.

I also try to teach them little cooking tricks and skills that make things easier, simpler.  And I honestly don't know how many of these are my own little tricks, and how many of them are common knowledge.  So I guess as I share with M and R, I'll also share here in the little blog I keep as much for my reference as for anything else.

As we made the crockpot gyro recipe for about the 3rd time the other day, I showed M how to seed a cucumber.  I peeled it with a vegetable peeler, split it lengthwise, and then she gasped in all the seeds, wanting to know how to get them out without cutting away half the cucumber (a real tragedy for her, she LOVES cucumbers.)

Very simple, really.  You take a teaspoon and just gently scrap away the seeds.












I did half, she seeded the rest. (And kept all the seeds to eat in a bowl with the aforementioned spoon.!)



No comments:

Post a Comment