Google Analytics

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chickpeas 2 Ways, One a Kid's Request

At the farmer's market the other day I bought some kale.  I have been craving kale, largely due to watching it grow at what seems an extremely slow rate outside my kitchen window.  I asked my daughter if she wanted it and she said, "Only if you make it with the beanies and tomatoes."  Hmm.  I had forgotten about that.  So the night before last a dutifully put out half a bag of garbanzo beans to soak overnight.

Garbanzo beans do not do well with a quick soak or a quick cook or anything like that but I truly think they taste better from dried than canned.  And I've become a bit suspicious of cans and am trying to usher them out, thanks to all the BPA hoopla.

So after soaking them overnight, I rinsed and drained them and put them in a pot to boil and cooked them, checking them periodically for 45 minutes or so.  Until they were soft but not totally done.

Mind you this was the day after that really big bottle of sake...I decided some broth might be in order. So I had to make 2 recipes for 1 dinner with 4 people.  (Ridiculous, isn't it?)

Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans, eh, whatever you wanna call 'em) & Kale
1/4 bag of dried garbanzo beans, pre-soaked and pre-cooked
1/4 bunch of fresh kale, washed and coarsely chopped
6 cups of broth
salt
pepper
garlic

I thawed out my broth, which is homemade, mineral-rich, and gluten-free, and was also a mixture of turkey and chicken.  I thawed it only slightly and then threw the frozen hunks in the pan, letting the stove do the rest of the work.  I was feeling a bit in need of laziness, and perhaps it showed.  Adding some garlic powder and wishing I had fresh on hand, I stirred in the kale and the beans.  I simmered this at a low heat for about 20 minutes, allowing all broth to de-frost and all flavors to meld.  I seasoned with salt & pepper and then sampled a cup, taking immediate notice, shall we say, of its restorative properties.

In another pan, I made my daughter's request:

Chickpeas with Kale & Tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup red bell pepper
1/4 bunch chopped kale
2 cups marinara sauce
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. powdered garlic
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup dried garbanzo beans, pre-soaked and pre-cooked


In some olive oil, saute the onions and peppers until they start to be tender.  Add the
garbanzo beans and kale.  Pour the marinara sauce over it, add seasonings, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat immediately to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the kale has begun to soften.  This dish has always been a favorite of my daughter's, in its many incarnations.  I have used fresh or canned tomatoes before too.  I just don't buy canned tomatoes anymore, so I have subbed in the marinara.

No comments:

Post a Comment