Google Analytics

Friday, June 25, 2010

Amaranth in Chicken Broth

Amaranth is an ancient grain that the Aztecs used not only for nutritional sustenance, but also in ceremonial situations.  It is high in minerals, high in protein, and gluten-free.  All of which made it sound like a winner in my book and prompted 3 weeks of shopping to find the stuff.  It was actually rather hard to find, which is quite odd since it grows as a native species in much of the U.S.

Whatever, I found it at Whole Foods, and in spite of their reputation as Whole Paycheck, it was not expensive (I think $2.72 for almost 2 lbs.)  I've cooked out of the container twice and haven't even used 1/4 of it.

On the same night I made our "Fancy Brussel Sprouts" I decided to introduce amaranth.  I often introduce something "weird" when I have other foods I know the kids will eat.. if they don't feel trapped, they tend to be much more experimental.

It was loved by all.  Seriously.  And so easy to cook, I see it becoming a staple for us.  I get tired of rice, and the hubby gets tired of potatoes.

Amaranth in Chicken Broth
Ingredients:
3 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup amaranth
2 tsp. parsley
2 tsp. ground garlic (I was out of fresh!)
1 tsp. oregano
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt

In a small pot, bring the chicken broth and amaranth to a boil.  Reduce heat and add spices and olive oil.  Cook, covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve as a side item in place of rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment