Google Analytics

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sauerkraut


While I'm on the subject of fermentation, we also started a crock of sauerkraut yesterday. With my family, sauerkraut is NOT just for hot dogs. My daughter took it for lunch one day to school.

Sauerkraut is pretty easy, really. You take a head of cabbage, and shred it finely (we used the food processor.)

















Then you put it in a large crock or something of the like (NOT metal, it can be reactive.) You mash the cabbage down with some Sea Salt until there is enough liquid to cover all the cabbage. (We used a pestle.) You then weight it down, cover it loosely, and let it sit. And sit. and sit. You check it every couple of days to make sure there is enough liquid. Refrigerate it once it reaches the taste you prefer.




1 comment:

  1. When I was pregnant with my son about 37 years ago, I lived on the 3rd floor of a 3 family house in Germany. The German grandma was making sauerkraut for the first month I was there. (I don't know what process she was using but it sure did stink up that house!) I was so sick from it, that I have not been able to eat sauerkraut to this day.

    ReplyDelete