Google Analytics

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bison Burgers, Truffles, and Sangria Oh my!


On today's trek down the yellow brick road, we had a cookout for my dad. Sounds relatively easy, but I overcomplicate everything. It was also the first time my dad had come over to eat since I got married, so I wanted it to be extra special.

The menu was pretty basic: hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, corn. Except i made bison burgers, chicken dogs, baked fries, fresh corn on the cob. And the condiments! Homemade ketchup (look at previous blogs), kimchee, saurkraut, cole slaw, three kinds of mustard, toma
toes from the little old man up the street, lettuce, two cuts of onions, pickles, etc. And I made Sangria as both my dad and my husband both recently discovered a love for it.

Hmm.. recipes to include. I made the sangria by:

Soaking: 2 oranges, halved and sliced thinly

2 limes, sliced thinly
2 lemons, sliced thinly
2 plums, diced
7 strawberries

in about half a bottle of spiced rum for 24 hours. I then added about 3 cups of orange juice to it. I put a bottle of (Trader
Joe's) Merlot in the freezer for about 45 minutes and then combined it all in a punch bowl. The result-- fabulous!


The truffles turned out pretty decent, despite my concerns to the contrary. If you read yesterday's post, you'll know I left them in the fridge overnight. Today I pulled the pan out and scooped
them using M's melon baller (yes she has one, I do not.) I then formed them into (kinda) balls and rolled them in cocoa powder, arranging them in my fabulous cheese & cracker tray I received as a wedding gift (thanks, mom!). Ok, ok, so they are kinda ugly, but they taste like the real thing, so presentation will be the next step.

All in all, I had a pretty good day. My husband ended up doing much more around the house than any dad oughta have to do on Father's Day, but I promised a fishing day real soon.



3 comments:

  1. okay if you see my friend jennifer ask her when she turned into a farmer? you are frightin' but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those truffles looked ok to me. and the Sangria, mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete