Google Analytics

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sour Cream Chicken Quiche

Morningtimes around my house are chaotic, to put it mildly. Two lunches to pack, two dogs to feed, 1 baby plus 3 other people to feed, homework to look over, people to dress, diaper to change, at least two arguments regarding cartoon watching, and one episode of "Where is my.....?"

So I have been trying to do more of the make ahead breakfast variety. We'll make homemade pancakes and freeze, or something. And quiche is a big winner. Here is the variety I made last night. It is good, but not my best. Anyway, something savory that will please the whole family and is quick.....


Sour Cream Chicken Quiche
2 shredded chicken thighs
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped bell peppers
2 tsp. butter
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. sage
3 eggs
2 tbsp. sour cream
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese
a piecrust (homemade or store-bought)

I keep saying I will make my own piecrust. For some reason it sounds impossibly hard, though, so we'll see. I used a frozen one this time.

Preheat oven to 350. In a skillet, saute the celery, onion, and bell pepper in the butter. Season with sage and mustard. Once the veggies are soft, add the shredded chicken until well blended and seasoned. Pour the mixture in the bottom of the pie crust and spread out. In a bowl, beat 3 eggs with the whole milk and sour cream. Pour over the other mixture. Top with shredded cheese.

Quiche is a funny thing, and if you are using a store-bought crust (which I am primarily opposed to because of the disposable pie tin) you never know how even it is on the bottom. For this reason, I always put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack of my oven and then place the quiche on the top rack. This helps reduce cleanup if your quiche overflows like mine did.

Bake about 30 minutes or until the quiche sets up. Don't know what that means? Pull the quiche out of the oven and jiggle it. If the innards flow around like a river, it's not done. If the innards hang out like a solid.. you've got a winner. (Hmm.. maybe next time I should use this as a science lesson to demonstrate the difference between liquids and solids.)

Let it cool about five minutes before serving. If you are making it for a quick breakfast, let cool about 20 minutes and refrigerate. It can be served for breakfast hold or cold. (My family likes it hot. Me, personally, it's quiche. I'll eat it anyway it comes.) This particular quiche is heavy on the other stuff besides the eggs. I like a really eggy quiche, but if you don't.. this is a good one for you. At any rate, about half of it is gone this morning already. I think I need to make my own piecrust so I can make quiche in a rectangular baking dish.

I hear you can also freeze quiche, but I haven't tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment