Google Analytics

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Comfort In the Midst of Downpour


So it's been raining in GA for ah, like weeks. Flooding in some places even, so far we have been spared. When it's cold and wet like this, I tend to want soups, stews, and the like, that warm you from the inside out.

I also like to curl up under a blanket and be lazy, so I am crock-pottin' it again today, making Smoked Turkey & Lima Bean Soup!


Smoked Turkey & Lima Bean Soup
1 bag dried lima beans
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic
6 cups chicken stock (approx.)
2-3 smoked turkey drums
1/2 celery stalk, chopped finely
1 can of tomatoes
3 heads of chopped baby bok choy
3 sprigs of thyme

Rinse the beans and pick out any icky ones, then soak overnight. In the morning, add all ingredients. I used my leftover chicken stock from mole night, but you can substitute in whatever you may have on hand. Cook on low all day long.

Before serving, you may want to shred the turkey. In my house, if I skip the turkey shredding, everyone fights over the chunks. You also may want to add additional seasoning, sage and/or cayenne would work well here.

This would be excellent with cornbread were I not out of cornmeal!


And, by the way, my six year old, who wanted to eat dinner with Nana and Papa because she didn't want lima beans, ate a 2nd dinner once she had a taste-- she ate 1 1/2 bowls!



No comments:

Post a Comment