Google Analytics

Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Setback

I had been extremely gung ho on cooking traditional foods. We were all happy, healthy, and then... fast forward a year and a half and I discovered couponing. I could go to Publix and come out with 8 bags of groceries for $7.  Um, yeah.  So we started eating a lot of processed food, and.... started being sickly.  So we backed off on that, but still trying to figure out the gluten free world, I still didn't do a whole lot that is traditional except for making chicken broth.  I also started off as a stay at home mom and now work full time.  But then...

About 3 weeks ago, all four of us got a virus that I affectionately refer to as the "death flu." My husband at one point ran a fever so high he was hallucinating.  That was pretty scary.

So we are on the road to traditional healthy eating again. I'm sure it won't be without its hiccups, but I am feeling better already.

Some steps we are taking:
-soaking grains before cooking
-making fermented foods
-taking cod liver oil
-making lots of bone broths and using them
-reducing processed food in the home to almost zero
-drinking raw milk when available
-eating grass fed and pastured meats and eggs when we can



So I say all this to say that I learned last night the youngest loves to help make sauerkraut. Glad to know I've got an apprentice.

Transferring the washed cabbage to the crock.

Salting and pounding the cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment