Google Analytics

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hungarian Paprikash

I'm not Hungarian, but any stretch of the imagination. And while most of the time I do try to post pretty authentic recipes on my blog, this one is not.  By any stretch of the imagination. But if I was reading a book about people eating Paprikash in Hungary.. this is what I think it would taste like.

This would be easily adaptable to the crock pot, but I did it on the stove top, because I finally was freed from being snowed in, and ran around all day before starting dinner. So this is my easy prep method instead.

Ingredients:
2 small onions
5 potatoes
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. Hungarian paprika
1 pkg. turkey sausage (I used sweet Italian)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
tomatoes-- about 3 cans (I try to avoid industrial canned tomatoes and was lucky enough to have a large mason jar of garden fresh canned tomatoes that my Mema & Pepa made me-- you can't get much better than that!!)
1 cup water

If you are in a hurry, prepare the potatoes as though you were baking them in the microwave, and in fact, microwave them until almost done.  Meanwhile, pour the olive oil in the pan and add the chopped onion and garlic, stirring consistently over medium heat.  Once the potatoes are about baked, dice them up and add to the pan.  Continue stirring, and let the potatoes start to form a crust.  Slice up your sausage and add on top (mine was still frozen).  Add the paprika, and mix well.  Reduce heat, and add tomatoes and water.  Cook over low heat for about an hour or until sausage meat is cooked, then season with salt and pepper. If you have time to cook longer, it will taste better!

Serve alone or topped with a dollop of sour cream.  Perfect for a winter day.

This is a hit with the whole family, not too spicy for anyone. If the hubby and I were alone, I might add 1/4 tsp. cayenne.  But the baby ate two bowlsful.

No comments:

Post a Comment