Google Analytics

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

More Fresh Figs

I am SO behind on blogging! I started a new job and am working 6 days a week, which definitely takes some getting used to.  I think I've been sleep deprived for a month!

But I had to share some more of what we've done with the wealth of fresh figs we've been given....


Fresh Fig Topping for Pancakes
12 fresh figs
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tbsp. sherry vinegar


Ok, so this is very, very easy, particularly if you can get a volunteer (aka my husband) to make you pancakes!  Ours were gluten-free naturally.
I started by washing the figs and chopping them into quarters or smaller, and throwing them in a saute pan with the butter.  Then I sprinkled the sherry vinegar and sugar over them.  I cooked over low heat, stirring often, for about fifteen minutes.  The result? A yummy fruit topping/syrup that everyone loved.  In fact, they loved it so much I didn't get a picture at all (OOOPS.)


Another breakfast easy fave with figs...

Figs & Oatmeal
2 cups whole rolled oats (NOT INSTANT)
1 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. coconut oil
4 cups water
12-15 fresh figs
cinnamon
ginger
1 tbsp. maple syrup

In a saucepan, bring the rolled oats, coconut oil, and water to a boil.  I always go ahead and put the oil in because it helps it keep from sticking.  Once the contents of your pan are boiling, reduce the heat to low.  Cook on low for about 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.  When you are starting to get an oatmeal-looking substance, add in your figs and maple syrup, mixing throughly with the oatmeal.  Sprinkle in cinnamon and powdered ginger.  Cook (still on low) another 10 minutes or so, stirring to be sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan.  Add the pat of butter, and cook until it's melted. Stir throughout.

Note: I didn't use any sugar in this, and my youngest ate two bowlsful!

No comments:

Post a Comment